TR&S #61 after being restored for operation on ORRC rails

The Trois-Rivières & Shawinigan Street Railway was a radial running from Trois-Rivières up into the Laurentides, via Shawinigan & Grand Mère. It fell into the LT&L’s orbit in 1907, soon after electrifying – at 1200 VDC – from Trois-Rivières to Grand Mère, and operated as an independent railway until immediately after the second world war, when the LT&L officially merged it into the system.

Post WW2, when passenger traffic started to dry up, the TR&S started cultivating freight traffic instead. In 1950, they purchased the Shawinigan Falls Terminal Railway from the power company that had previously owned it, then in 1954 took over terminal operations in Grand Mére from the CPR and CNR.

In 1958, the TRS abandoned most of their passenger operations – leaving only a mixed train running from Trois-Rivières to Saint-Roch-de-Mékinac – and dieselised their freight operations.

The LT&L considered pulling down the wires and using a diesel to operate the mixed train, but (a) the city of Shawinigan objected to operating diesels on city streets and (b) the LT&L was starting to discuss a merger with the PV&T, which strongly encouraged leaving the wires up just in case a post-merger LT&L electrified their north shore main line.

In 1996 (post-merger) the LT&L finally started electrifying their north shore mainline between Ottawa, Montréal, and Québec, and part of that project was to rebuild the TRS’s overhead at 3000VDC and replace the class DL2 locomotives it had been using with PV&T motors.

As part of this conversion, the TRS finally abandoned their street running trackage between Shawinigan Falls and Grand-Mére in favor of trackage rights on the CPR’s Subivision St. Maurice Valley, electrifying that section as part of the agreement.

The TRS suffered, as did Canadian railways in general, from the hollowing out of industry in the late 1980s, and by 1995 there was no longer any freight traffic between Shawinigan-Sud and Trois-Rivières, and the formerly comfortable lumber traffic north of Grand-Mère was down to a single lumberyard at the end of the line.

In addition, the CPR was in the throes of abandoning all of their rail lines east of Montréal, so the TRS bid on and won the entirety of the Subdivision St. Maurice Valley, subsequently abandoning most of it in favor of the TRS’s mainline.

Thanks to this purchase, there is still quite a bit of freight traffic between Trois-Rivières and Shawinigan, but north of that there is just a single sawmill at Saint-Roch-de-Mèkinac.

The mixed train was officially discontinued in 1999, but it is still possible to arrange excursions – either as a a special tourist train or a coach attached to a freight – between the endpoints of the line.

Several of the TR&S'a passenger & combine motors survived into the 2020s as MOW cars for the LT&L. The illustrated one – built by Ottawa Car is 1930 – was restored in 1989 (and again in 2020 after sitting outside for a decade!) and is currently used for fan trips on ORRC rails (there are only a couple of Parsons Vale properties that use trolley poles instead of pantographs, and the ORRC system is by far the largest of them)

  • Copyright © 2024 by Jessica L. Parsons (orc@pell.portland.or.us) unless otherwise noted
    Sat Nov 25 13:37:16 PST 2023